Friday, December 14, 2012

Love is Real (Fiction) - Christmas Special!

I wrote this for my Public Speaking class. It's goodish!

***

"Christmas, daddy!" Kate said.
"Christmas is coming, I'm so excited!" Kate said.
"Christmas, Katie!" Dad said.
"Christmas is coming, I can't wait either!" Dad said.

"But, Daddy," she started.
"Yes, my dear, what have you to say? Go on." Dad said.
"What about Santa, Dad?"
"Oh." Dad began "Yes, he will come this year, Katie."

"What happened last year, Dad?"
"Well you see Kate, times are tough, for everybody."
"Is it better now, Dad?"
Dad paused for a good bit. "A little bit, maybe."

"Do you promise he'll come?"
Dad stopped, thought, then said, "Yes, I promise. He will come."
"Will he have his red suit?"
"Of course! His red suit, black boots and his big white beard!"

"Yay, Daddy! Yippee! Yes!"
"Maybe, Katie, you'll be able to meet Santa!"
"Really?! Me?! Meet Santa?!"
"I can't guarantee, we'll have to see!" Daddy said.

Well, crap. Darn. Dagnabbit!
How will Dad get this outfit? The gift was hard enough!
Christmas is in three days!
Dad is one poor pup, can't buy a suit! What to do!?

He got an idea.
He does not need to buy it, he has another plan!
It will be real hard work
Oh man, it will be horrid, but he must do it!

On the first day, promptly,
He went to Joe's down the street, and asked him:
"Can I have your boots, please?"
"Oh, well, I don't know about that, you can work for them?"

He came later that day,
With the warmest getup he has, with his shovel,
He gets right down to work,
On the tons and tons of snow, covering the yard.

He got his boots, finally.
After all of his tons, and tons, of hard, hard work.
He rested for the day,
And felt tired, and only slightly satisfied.

Day two has now arrived.
Daddy goes down to Jim's down the road, this time.
"Can I have your suit, Jim?"
I don't know man, you are going to have to work!

Again, in his warm clothes,
Down to, this time, Jim's yard, he brought his shovel. Work!
He worked, for many hours!
He kept working, and finally, the suit is his.

Day three. It has arrived.
On day three, he went to Josh's house, and asked:
"Can I have your white beard?"
"The one I use on Halloween? Ya gotta work!"

Again, it's obvious.
He works, in his warm clothes, with his shovel, so long,
It is so tiring, but,
He must! He needs that beard! For Kate! She needs Santa!

He finishes his work,
And he gets that blasted beard, and it's about time!
He has his full outfit, and tomorrow? It is...
It's Christmas Eve! Oh boy!

When Katie was asleep,
Dad started his plan, starting to don his outfit.
First, the boots, then, the suit,
And lastly, he picked up his beard, and began to-"

But then. "Daddy? That you?!"
Kate has caught him. Red handed, he's not the red man.
She looked as though she'd cry.
"Daddy, did you tell a lie?" A tear formed, and fell.

Oh God, Oh Lord, Oh crap.
"Katie, yes, I did, I'm sorry. There's no Santa."
"Really, Dad? No Santa?"
"There's no Santa. Didn't come last year cus of me."

"What do you mean, Daddy?"
"I don't have much money, Kate. We're poor. I couldn't."
Kate looked oh so sad.
But she saw the present, and gave Daddy a look.

"Yeah, the present. You see,
"'Santa' was gonna give you this gift, that I gave him."
"Can I open it, Dad?"
"I guess, but it's not a good present, Kate, because..."

He stopped himself. Just watched.
"What is this, Dad?" It's a slip of paper, on it,
A poem, that Dad wrote,
"Something I wrote, Kate, I couldn't afford a gift."

The Santa outfit, well,
It was meant to counteract this poor man's gift, or,
Well, perhaps poor is wrong.
"Read it to me, Daddy."

"Okay, I will read it, Kate."
Dad took a seat, and she took a seat on his lap,
He's about to begin,
Alright, he thinks. I'm such a horrible father.

"'Katie, my little girl,
I'm not the best father, but you must understand.
I love you very much,
More than's possible, you are everything to me.

"'And even more, Katie,
We won't be alone this year, as we have a guest!
A very special one,
Katie, Santa is real.'"

"I'm sorry Kate, it's bad,"
"You deserve-" and then she stopped him. "Wow Daddy! Wow!"
"That was so nice! So nice!"
You did such a nice job, we do not need Santa!

"We don't need Santa, Dad!
I just need you, and I love you dad! Very much!
I have one problem Dad,
With your poem? It's the last line. Change it, Daddy.

To "Katie, love is real."
The lesson to be learned, ladies and gentlemen, is that love, is real, if that means anything to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment