Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Matt's Weekly Comics - 11/21/12

My little ditty from last week about my weekly comics pick-ups was a bit of a frustrating experience for me. I couldn’t properly explain my feelings on Batman #14; so much that I had to update the article. And I still don’t think I got my point across that effectively, after that.

But nobody reads these posts, so it’s okay! Here comes this week’s!

This week was filled with an abnormal amount of Marvel goodness for me, all thanks to Marvel Now and a particularly packed week for the books I follow from the publisher. I bought 6 Marvel books, and one DC book.

Let’s start with the DC book!

Justice League #14! I really enjoyed this issue. This Cheetah-lady-baddy is expanded upon with some lore that fortunately manages to add to the plot without boring my face. The romantic relationship of Superman and the excessively-sexualized Wonder Woman also further develops, and it’s a little heavy-handed but it’s sweet enough. We don’t normally see two God-like superheroes in a relationship together, and it’s cool, so it’s appreciated.

What’s really amazing about this new story arc is the artwork from Tony Daniel. I was initially upset when I heard that he and his artwork would be replacing the legendary Jim Lee and his appropriately-blockbuster scribbles, as I found Daniel’s work on The New 52’s Detective Comics to be just-okay. I had no reason to be afraid, however, because he draws the friggin’ crap out of this book. My iPad has two new wallpapers.

Marvel timez!

The first book I read, thanks to Dan Slott’s masterful skill at cranking the hype-machine, was The Amazing Spider-Man #698. And, uh, yeah. Wtf, man.

Slott sure has a zany idea to change the Spidey status quo. I have no idea how it will turn out, and I mean that in regard to both plot progression and general quality.

I liked the art a lot.

Okay, um, I read Indestructible Hulk #1 after that, as it’s been one of my most anticipated comics ever since it was announced. It totally rules. Bruce Banner and Hulk are portrayed for all intents and purposes exactly how they are in The Avengers film, which should be enough to support my “it totally rules” thesis. The art fits this book perfectly and looks great, though I do think that the action can look a bit confusing. Hard to follow the smashes!

But yeah, awesome first issue, this is gonna be something very special.

Deadpool #2 is not as enjoyable as the first issue but it’s still very awesome, and it still brings the lulz. Deadpool takes a stab at Kevin James’s recent filmography, he’s seduced by overtly-sexualized Marvel characters, etc. The super-gory art is also very pleasing to my eyeballs. I like this book. Even though it’s lame and comes out twice a month. $6 a month Marvel?! I AIN’T RICH!

Captain America #1 is a comic I almost didn’t get, and it’s a comic that made me nearly-cringe with its convoluted-sounding solicit-details, but it turned out to be my pick of the week.
It opens with an incredibly satisfying theme, which is introduced in a flashback to Cap’s childhood and translated to a fun and quick set piece in modern times - a set piece putting Cap against a goofy-amazing bad guy. Then it translates into stuff with his girlfriend, raising the question: Can Captain America quit being a soldier and instead be a man?

And then the set-up for this story arc is introduced, answering that question with a solid “no.”
The artwork is also fantastic. It looks like rough sketches with careful coloring, which may sound bad, but trust me, it looks so very cool.

This book has me. Heart.

Daredevil #20 came out, and it’s really trippy. The villain introduced at the end of the last issue closes the door for the dark stuff that went on in past issues, but opens new doors for more dark stuff. The new dark stuff is done so cleverly that it’s not depressing, but it’s still messed up.
I like it. The art remains very pretty, as well.

Hawkeye #4 was also a thing. Aja didn’t do the art so it’s not quite as amazing-looking as it usually is - this issue isn’t incredibly PURPLE like the others - but it still looks good. The dialogue continues to be fun and clever, but the plot this time around doesn’t start and end in the same issue, and it’s actually kinda heavy, dire stuff. Those last two things aren’t necessarily bad, stories that go past one issue is fine, and heavy, dire stories are fine, but I just wish this was a done-in-one light-hearted romp like the first three issues. Those last three issues hit a real sweet spot.

It’s good. Definitely different than the last three, and the least compelling thus far.

I proofread and uploaded his from my phone on my way to the movies. I’m a pro, dammit! A PRO!

I’M GONNA WRECK IT! now. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment